S. A. KUGEL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
FOR SOCIOLOGY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
holds its XXXVI session on December 2–3, 2021
SOCIAL STUDIES OF SCIENCE:
HISTORY AND THE PRESENT
(to the 90th Anniversary of the Participation
of the Soviet Delegation in the Second International Congress
of the History of Science in London)
The annual session is devoted to the 90th anniversary of the participation of the Soviet delegation in the Second International Congress of the History of Science in London. This event was a milestone in the history of social studies of science and contributed to the formation of this field in the Soviet Union. At the coming S. A. Kugel International School, we plan to discuss the history of the Second International Congress of the History of Science in London, the creative work and biographies of the participants of the Soviet delegation with special attention to B. M. Hessen in the context of the urgent questions of the modern sociology of science. We encourage researchers, lecturers, research fellows, young scientists, and students to participate in the conference.
In particular, the session encourages academic papers concerned with the following themes and related questions:
• social history of science as a special field of the science of science;
• the formation of the philosophy and sociology of science in Russia;
• wissenssoziologie as a prehistory of the sociology of science;
• B. M. Hessen as philosopher and historian of science;
• history of the Second International Congress of the History of Science;
• Institute for the History of Science and Technology and formation of the community of historians of science and technology in Russia;
• the origins of the R. K. Merton’s sociology of science;
• sociology of science in the USSR: schools, centers, traditions;
• Institute for the History of Science and Technology and Soviet sociology of science;
• the origins of the Russian sociology of science in the context of the world sociological thought;
• the problem of the social determination of knowledge;
• the strong programme of the sociology of knowledge vs classical sociology of science;
• science as a social institution: structure and principles;
• competitiveness of the Russian science in the face of internationalization;
• social stratification in science: communities, careers, elites;
• preliminary results of the reforms of science in the post-Soviet space: the origins, regional peculiarities, the essential results and perspectives;
• the financing of science: principles, traditions, reforms.
Working languages: Russian and English.
The conference will be held in blended format (videoconferences and in-person meetings).
No fees are charged for participation in the session. We don’t refund the expenses incurred for travel, accommodation/meals.
The main venue: the Conference hall of the St. Petersburg Branch of S. I. Vavilov Institute for the History of Science and Technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Address: 5, Universitetskaya naberezhnaya, Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation.
The deadline for submissions is November 5, 2021. Submissions should be sent by e-mail to the Organizing committee at the address: email@example.com.
The Organizing committee welcomes the participation of PhD students and early career researchers.
The papers presented at the conference will be published in the Journal «The Problems of Scientist and Scientific Groups Activity» (http://ihst.nw.ru/pub/problem/) indexed in the Russian Science Citation Index. The Organizing committee of the conference and the editorial board of the journal reserve the right to select the papers for publication. The submissions for publication should be original papers which were not previously published.
Telephone: +7 (812) 328-47-12 (Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 to 17:00 Moscow time).
Contact persons: Dr. Nadia Asheulova, Dr. Victor Kupriyanov
• St. Petersburg Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences
• St. Petersburg Branch of the Institute for History of Science and Technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
• Research Committee 23 on Sociology of Science and Technology of the International Sociological Association
• Department of Sociology of St. Petersburg State University
• St. Petersburg Association for Sociologists
• Research Committee for Sociology of Science and Technology of the Russian Society of Sociologists
1. First and last name:
2. Date of birth:
3. Academic degree, title:
4. Affiliation (full):
5. Address of residence:
6. Email address:
9. Abstract (up to 300 words, font Times New Roman, size 12 pt, spacing 1.5 pt, full name – in the upper right corner, title in bold in the center).
Participant application and contact details in the attached information letter.